Skip to main content

The Lion King and Shame


Maggie, Tiki and I went to see The Lion King a few days ago and it was really good.  I loved how close they stayed to the original cartoon, too.  Throughout the movie, I was struck by the role shame plays in Simba's life and how it relates so much to real life.

For the "shame" takeaway, the characters are:

  • Mufasa:  God
  • Scar:  Satan
  • Simba:  Man
  • Timon & Pumbaa:  New Friends
  • Nala:  Old Friends
  • Pride Rock:  "Home"
  • The land where Timon & Pumbaa live:  Run Away Land
It was so interesting to me to watch shame play out-- it played out like it did in the garden with Adam and Eve and it played out the way I have seen it play out closer to home. . . .

Simba was casually following Scar into the gulch to prove something.  At that point, it was fairly harmless just as it is in life.  Often, we need to prove something to ourselves or to others and it is fairly harmless, but in proving something, we are walking beside Satan because of pride.  Ultimately, because Simba was in the gulch, Mufasa died.  Simba didn't kill Mufasa, but Mufasa was trying to save him.  After Mufasa died, Scar comes back into the picture and lays on the shame relentlessly.  Simba then goes on to believe the lies that Scar is telling him and Shame causes him to run from Pride Rock.  He ran and "hid" because of Scar's lies and his own shame.  He left his home and he left the people he loved and the people who loved him because he believed the lies Scar told him and he was filled with shame as a result.

Simba then met up with Timon and Pumbaa.  They are good characters.  They are kind and carefree and they welcome Simba with open arms.  Simba is thankful to be with people who don't judge him and who don't question his past or what circumstances brought him to the seeming paradise of Run Away Land.  Timon and Pumbaa are not villains and they are not bad characters.  I think their only flaw is that "Hakuna Matata" is the easy way out.  "No worries" seems so enticing and so easy and Simba gets caught up in it and he forgets where he came from and he forgets what responsibility he has back at Pride Rock.  In forgetting, the shame takes a back seat and Simba is "free."

Nala finds Simba and helps to remind him of who he is and ultimately, Simba returns to Pride Rock and it is awful.  Scar is in charge, it is desolate and bleak.  In order to get Pride Rock back to the "glory days" of Mufasa, it is going to take lots of work and lots of time.  The animals are all gone, the foliage is all burnt.  Run Away Land seems much more appealing than Pride Rock, but because Simba remembers who he is, he faces his inner demons and his past and his shame and decides to go back home.

And they live happily ever after.  (Wouldn't that be nice in real life?)

But I was so struck by the role shame plays and how clearly The Lion King shows us that.  Had Simba not listened to Scar and returned home to Pride Rock immediately, the story would have looked very different.  We would have never met Timon and Pumbaa, we would never have gotten "Hakuna Matata" stuck in our heads and the story may have seemed very safe and very boring.  It definitely wouldn't have been movie worthy.  But Scar used the lies of shame to evict Simba from his home and his place as the King of Beasts and Simba ran.

How often do we run away from the pain because of shame?  How often is that shame just lies that Satan tells us?  How often do we leave home and those we love behind because of lies and shame?  How often is Run Away Land (wherever that is, maybe a place, maybe a Netflix binge, maybe a good book, maybe a new city) so beautiful and enticing and how often are the people we surround ourselves with in Run Away Land great people, but people who don't ask questions and don't hold us to a higher standard.  They say "no worries" and you go along enjoying your new life forgetting who you actually are?  (Meanwhile, those who love you are left sad and missing you).

Going back to Pride Rock is hard.  It is hard because, since you've been gone, it has become a desolate place covered in dark clouds, and hard because you have to face the people you left.  But those people missed you and they want you home!

Shame and the lies Satan tells us about ourselves in relation to shame blind us and make us deaf to God.  We are so filled with shame that we can't even hear the voice of the Lord, the Lord who sacrificed His life for our own.  And then we stay stuck because as we become blind and deaf to reality, the new life seems so perfect and so enticing and we appreciate that no one is judging us or pushing us towards a better us or calling our actions into account.  It seems so safe and the shame seems to be gone!

Brene Brown says that shame needs three things to grow: secrecy, silence and judgement.  Even though it seems like shame isn't growing in Run Away Land, it is.  It is growing and festering.  Interestingly enough, Brene Brown also says that with empathy, shame dies.  With someone who knows you saying, "me too," shame is no more.  The empathy resides in Pride Rock because the people who love you and who truly know you inside and out are there.  So, the very place you are running from is the only place that can heal your wounds.

The live action Lion King was good.  I highly recommend it, but the picture of what it looks like to walk as a Christian was better for me.  We stumble and we get tempted and Satan lies to us and Run Away Land is beautiful and worry free.  Sometimes home is hard and ugly and unbearable and sometimes it is that way because we caused it or sometimes it is that way because our mind perceives it as that way (and it isn't really that way at all).  We can bow to the lies and run into the arms of people who "accept" us without a care in the world, yet they don't hold us to a higher standard, or we can go back to the only people who can kill our shame with love and empathy.  Pride Rock isn't always the most enticing, but it is home and it is where we belong. . . . and it is where happily ever after ultimately resides (if only after this life is over).  

From the sky Mufasa says, "Simba, you have forgotten me.  You have forgotten who you are and so forgotten me.  Look inside yourself, Simba.  You are more than what you have become. . . .  Remember who you are.  You are my son. . . .  Remember."  When you look at yourself, do you see The Father or your own reflection?  Do you need to remember who you are?  Do you need to forget the lies the enemy tells you?  Remember!

Comments

Lori Ann said…
Wow! We are who God says we are!! As I read your words tonight, it just spoke to me how we are called by name! We are so loved that nothing in this world separates us from the love of God!!!! Beautiful Jaime Jo... prayers of thanksgiving for you and what God has planned for you! Prayers to lift you up and comfort you always.


I needed rescue
My sin was heavy
But chains break at the weight of Your glory
I needed shelter
I was an orphan
But You call me a citizen of Heaven
When I was broken
You were my healing
Now Your love is the air that I'm breathing
I have a future
My eyes are open
'Cause when you called my name
I ran out of that grave
Out of the darkness
Into Your glorious day
You called my name
And I ran out of that grave
Out of the darkness
Into Your glorious day
Love it, Jamie Jo...such insightful parallels! And good for u, for “getting back to it”. You’ve challenged me, as I too took a break from my blog about two years ago when I started homeschooling... but I’ve felt God convicting me for awhile now that it’s time to get back to it. Praying for you guys—I know God’s writing anew chapter in your life that will inspire and help others!! -Leslie Bauer
Love it, Jamie Jo...such insightful parallels! And good for u, for “getting back to it”. You’ve challenged me, as I too took a break from my blog about two years ago when I started homeschooling... but I’ve felt God convicting me for awhile now that it’s time to get back to it. Praying for you guys—I know God’s writing anew chapter in your life that will inspire and help others!! -Leslie Bauer

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and