Skip to main content

Psalms...The Desperate Ones

A friend of mine from Africa suggested that I take some time and read through Psalms after I called her yesterday to chat.  So, I read through the Psalms yesterday--skipping the happy ones.  I love the things that stuck out to me and I thought I'd share.

Psalm 11:1a
In the Lord I take refuge. . . .

Psalm 13:1-2
How long, O Lord?  Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hid Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

Psalm 18:2b
. . .My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge. . . .

Psalm 18:28-29
For You light my lamp;
The Lord my God illumines my darkness.
For by You I can run upon a troop;
And by my God I can leap over a wall.

Psalm 20:4a
May He grant you your heart's desire. . . .

Psalm 20:5b
. . .may the Lord fulfill all your petitions

Psalm 22:2-3
O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer;
And by night, but I have no rest, 
Yet, You are holy.

I wrote notes with this one:  
YET!  
I cry out but you do not answer.  Yet you, O Lord, are holy.
I am drowning but you do not come.  Yet you, O Lord, are holy.
I am desperate but you do not hear me.  Yet you, O Lord, are holy.
I am confused but you do not give me clarity.  Yet you, O Lord, are holy.

Psalm 27:3a
Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear. . . .

My notes:  the enemy has encamped against me and I am living in fear and I need to not be afraid because God is fighting the battle for me!

Psalm 32:7
You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble;
You surround me with songs of deliverance.

Psalm 40:1a
I waited patiently for the Lord. . . .

Psalm 42:7
Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls;
All Your breakers and Your waves have rolled over me.

My notes:  I drew a little stick figure drowning in the waves but a hand is tossing her a life preserver from the side.  Then in verse 11 it says HOPE. . . that is the life preserver.

Psalm 51:8
Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.

Psalm 62:5-8
My soul, wait in silence for God only,
For my hope is from Him
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
On God my salvation and my glory rest;
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us.

Psalm 83:1
O God, do not remain quiet;
Do not be silent and , O God, do not be still.

My notes:  This is my prayer, O God.  I cannot hear you.  I cannot feel you.  I am lost and drowning and confused.  I lack understanding and I cannot see from your perspective.  Please do not be silent!

Psalm 86:1
Incline Your ear, O Lord, and answer me;
For I am afflicted and needy.

Psalm 88:4b
. . . I have become like a man without strength.

Psalm 88:18
You have removed lover and friend far from me;
My acquaintances are in darkness.

Psalm 102:2
Do not hide Your face from me in the day of my distress;
Incline your ear to me;
In the day when I call answer me quickly.

Psalm 102:7
I lie awake,
I have become like a lonely bird on a housetop.

Psalm 109:4b
. . . but I am in prayer.

Psalm 109:22
For I am afflicted and needy,
And my heart is wounded within me.

Psalm 109:26
Help me, O Lord my God;
Save me according to Your lovingkindness.

Psalm 116:8
For You have rescued my soul from death,
My eyes from tears,
My feet from stumbling.

Psalm 118:5-9
From my distress I called upon the Lord;
The Lord answered me and set me in a large place.
The Lord is for me; I will not fear;
What can man do to me?
The Lord is for me among those who help me;
Therefore I will look with satisfaction on those who hate me.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
Than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
Than to trust in princes.

Psalm 119:28
My soul weeps because of grief;
Strengthen me according to Your word.

Psalm 119: 32b
. . . For You will enlarge my heart.

Psalm 119:40b
. . . revive me. . . .

Psalm 119:49-50
Remember the word to Your servant,
In which You have made me hope.
This is my comfort in my affliction,
That Your word has revived me.

Psalm 119:165
Those who love Your law have a great peace,
And nothing causes them to stumble.

Psalm 121
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.

I hope you find encouragement from the "not happy" Psalms like I did yesterday.  Thank you, Lauren, for the wisdom to give me the encouragement I needed to take some me time with my Bible!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and