Skip to main content

A Post I Never Dreamed I'd Ever Write

Today is a day I never dreamed would happen. Never in my wildest imagination from childhood until last Fall did I ever think I would have to say (or experience) this: Today is my last day working for Kanakuk. I never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever thought this day would come. My whole life I only dreamed of working for Kanakuk. I never thought about doing anything else (except for a couple of weeks in 6th grade when I wanted to be a fighter pilot). All I've ever wanted to do is work for Kanakuk. All of my life plans were made around working for Kanakuk. I never thought about a creative college major because I knew I'd spend my life working for Kanakuk.

I bleed Kanakomo blue. I do. I love Kanakuk more than any single person on the earth. I think I can say that as a fact. No one loves Kanakuk more than I do. No one is more concerned about the reputation of Kanakuk than I am. Growing up, every good choice I made was because of Kanakuk. Why didn't I drink in college. . .because I didn't want to hurt Kanakuk's name (and so on). Kanakuk has been my life! This is my 35th summer at Kankauk. . .and my last.

As I write this I am sad. Don't get me wrong. . .I am SO HOPEFUL for Camp Kivu and what the Lord has in store for the Braner family and for Kivu. I know that we are doing the right thing. I am super excited and I cannot wait to get Kivu up and running. However, at the same time, I feel like I am in mourning for the end of my Kanakuk era. My heart is breaking. I feel like a piece of me has died. I know that sounds dramatic, but that is how I feel.

At the end of "You've Got Mail," Meg Ryan is standing in her shop. She owned a children's book store that her mother owned before her. It was a darling and personal store. She knew her customers and they loved her. It had been in her family for 42 years and she had to close because a big "Fox Books" moved in across the street. Anyway, she is standing in her empty store just looking around and she said that a piece of her has died. That is how I feel.

I feel like as I close this chapter a huge piece of me has died. So much of who I am has been wrapped up in Kanakuk for so long. My entire Kanakuk identity and everything that goes with it is finished after today. It is really hard to explain these feelings I am having. I'm not really even sure what to do with these feelings I am having. So I'm writing.

Today is my last day at Kanakuk.

Thanks for the memories. . .memories stretching back my ENTIRE life. Memories of a five year old sitting in my sand box watching basketball specialty. Memories of a kamper in cabin one. . .every morning waking up early and waiting for Pardner, my great grandmother, come to water the flowers--I would get SO excited to see her every morning. Memories of a little girl "working" with my Gran'ma in her office. . .pressing flowers and watching all of the kampers walk by. Sitting by my dad while he drove the bus for many Super Deal trips. Waiting for Pappy to drive into kamp in his red truck so that I could ride home with him and spend several days with he and Gran'ma. Fun babysitters and terrible babysitters. . .one so bad we wished the chicken pox on her and SHE GOT IT!!! Fun times at the dock with dock daddies who made me feel so special. Memories of me and my best kamp friend, Libby, every summer at K1 and K2. . ."I don't need anything but Lib. . ." T and Jerry. . .the cute chiefs at K1 during the summer of 1987. Mini princess at K1 and "How The Grinch Stole Kanakomo." The optional Wild trip for girls at K2 with Lynda. Princess at K2 with Kirtty and "At The Hop With The Kiowas." K1 kameper for 9 years (4 years in cabin one) and then three more years at K2. Great kamp crushes that I will laugh about for many more years to come. Being a counselor with one amazing cabin for a month followed by the most challenging cabin ever in kamp history (maybe, maybe not). My first summer married. . .living in a tent for 74 days while we tried to start KCO. The first summer of K-Extreme and the excitement of a new kamp. 2001. . .the summer KCO had a home and then 2002 the Fire Summer! I feel like I could go on forever. I was a kamp kid. Now I'm a kamp mom. Crazy.

Today is my last. I have no regrets. Kanakuk (Kanakomo) will always hold a very dear and special place in my heart. . .it is so much of who I am. But today is the last and my heart is broken. How I can I explain it? I can't. . . . . .

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh Jamie Jo... this post makes me sad, happy & hopeful for you all in one. WOW!!!! This is really fantastic.... beautiful expression of an amazing place I hold close to my heart too. We would NEVER EVER be in Branson, MO if it wasn't for Kanakuk!! It's truly incredible all the lives your family has touched in one way or another.
Thank you for sharing your heart.
We can't WAIT to visit again Camp Kivu!!!
We love you & miss you!!!
We are out of town when you are here for AF... we're celebrating my mom's 70th.
See you soon!!!
xoxo
Kari said…
Ooops, that was from me:))) I wasn't signed in yet!!
xoxo
emily said…
Such a precious post! So many memories. I wouldn't know you apart from Kanakuk. So thankful.

Would love to visit you guys there someday. Heard J and T were having a great time. What a blessing. :)
Julie Neal said…
Jamie Jo
Thanks so much for sharing your heart. It will be exciting to watch your new journey unfold. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Can't wait to come and visit!
sue said…
Your post brought tears to my eyes. I've had kampers at kanakuk and have nursed at kanakuk for several years and I know it is a place that takes a piece of your heart and holds on. But I spent my nursing week in Durango this summer, witnessed what you are doing, and know that there is so much more in store for you and so many others. I can't wait to see it! You are moving in the right direction. Kanakuk will never forget you, but I truly believe you will continue to make your awesome and unforgettable mark for God on the life of so many with Andy, your family, and KIVU. Gods love is with you always. I will be praying for you all. Sue
Jessica said…
Sad day... I was thinking about yall so much last week during the transition. Can't believe K-CO is over... But excited at the same time for Kivu!! Miss you!
dawn said…
What a great way to honor your family by simply sharing your heart for Kanakuk. I thought I loved it more than anyone else because of all the special memories to holds for my kids and Jimmy. It is the most fun place on earth.

What a great new journey you and Andy are on with Kivu. So happy for you.

By the way-I think I had the most challenging cabin as a K2 counselor. They made me never want to walk through the kamp gates again. But thanks to sweet Sharon Dodd-kamp holds a dear place in my heart.

Miss waving to you in the pick up line!

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and