Skip to main content

Please, Lord, help the sermon from yesterday NOT be for me!!!

I was so excited to be at James River (our church) yesterday morning. Our pastor was back from being out of town and it is one of the last Sundays that we will be in town before we leave. I love our church! I love the worship! And I think that our Pastor, John Lindell, is the best Bible teacher that I have ever heard!!!

Anyway. . .Lionel. . .for those of you who haven't watched the Show Hope video that stars Lionel, then you need to watch it!!! Go to http://www.showhope.org/Resources/VideoLibrary.aspx and then scroll down and click on the last video, "Picture This." It is a great video for so many reasons, but mostly because in it, Andy and I get "matched" with Lionel. I cry EVERY time!

In the video, Steven Curtis mentions how important it is for orphans to be adopted so that they will have the opportunity to know Christ in a personal way. And I've been thinking about that because Lionel already has a beautiful relationship with the Lord. So, I have to ask myself why, really, should we adopt? Is it for a child to have a home with a loving (most of the time) mother and father or is it for them to be in a home where they can learn to love the Lord? Is it for family or for salvation? Lionel is in good hands. He is in a home where the people truly love him!!! New Hope Homes isn't an orphanage where the children are just another number. It is a group of homes where the children are loved and hugged and taught the love of the Lord. Lionel is also at a boarding school which is probably better than most schools in the US. The education he is getting is unbelievable!

Lionel is doing great in Rwanda! He has love. He has friends. He has education. He loves the Lord. So, I'm having these weird feelings. I think part of it is me "protecting" myself from the probability that we will get "bad" news back from Bishop or from the Minister about not being able to adopt Lionel. I'm sure part of this feeling is me protecting my heart. But I have to wonder if part of it is the Lord pushing my heart away from Lionel and towards another child. How can I know?

All of that to say. . .in church yesterday I was feeling this little weird tug on my heart while I was praying (the tug mentioned above). Then it was time for the sermon and Pastor John tells us to turn to Job 23 before we turn to Luke (we've been studying Luke for four years). The title of the sermon was "Turning Disappointment Into Devotion." That was all I needed to hear before I got all teary and I begged God that this sermon NOT be for me. . .I don't want bad news! I don't want to give up Lionel! I don't want that disappointment right now (or ever)!

The sermon was WONDERFUL!! It was so good and I learned so much about disappointment through Luke 24:13-36. That sermon is an entirely different blog post that I hope I won't have to give!

Anyway, those are my feelings. Am I emotionally distancing myself from Lionel in order to protect my heart? Or is God gently distancing my heart from Lionel to protect me? How can I tell the difference? I want Lionel to be my son. Is this only the desire of a mother's heart or is it actually God's will for our family? I guess I'll just have to hold on a while longer and see how many more doors get closed or swung wide open!

Comments

Kristyn said…
i'm so glad you shared all of that. wow! I cannot imagine the confusion and desire for clarity right now.
may you receive peace in this time.
Lory Howlett said…
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you are right where God wants you--not running ahead or lagging behind, but walking hand in hand as you wait for Him to reveal The Plan. Praise Him that Lionel is safe in every way. Can't wait to hear the next chapter!
alisa said…
Oh, how my heart aches for you as you wrestle with uncertainty. Many times (in the deepest, darkest places of my heart)I ask myself those very same questions about adoption, but, then I remember that God has 'adopted' me...adoption is His idea, not mine!! Not only could I have NOT planned 'adoption' for myself or my children, I also know I can't mess it up!!!
Glory to God!!!
Loved seeing your hubby, but miss you more!! :))))

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and