Skip to main content

Tweens & Money

Well, today we started a new "thing."  I have found myself head to head with Hays recently about all of the new gear he "needs" for snowboarding and I get so frustrated that I have to say no because of finances and I get frustrated that my no's frustrate him.  So, we came up with a plan and we are going to try it for a year and see if it works.  We are hoping to teach Hays the value of hard work and extra jobs and the value of money and what things are actually important to him in terms of the "extras" he needs and wants in his life.

I sat down and made a chart of what it costs annually to raise Hays. . .everything.  YIKES!  And I showed it to him.  Hays, it costs x amount for you to "live" each year.  Then I "took out" all of the things that we could "cover" as parents such as food and medical and clothing and Rec Center pass and Purgatory pass and stuff.  That left him with a rather large amount that covered the Snowboarding team and competitions and travel and his "extra" things such as a new board and a new coat and stuff.

Once I got that amount, I divided it by Snowboarding team expenses and true extras.  After more division (and trying to make a long story shorter), we came up with an amount to pay him per chore per day that would cover strictly Snowboarding.  Then we came up with extra bonus chores and other bonuses that could cover his other extras IF he did them.

So, with diligence and planning, he should be able to afford all he needs and wants but he is going to have to make some good choices.  The savings are going to have to start this Spring for next year.  He is going to have to remember to save for his car too (three years isn't that far away) and he is going to have to make choices about things he wants.

I'm not sure how well I actually described this, but we explained it to Hays and he is very excited!  I am very excited to have him thinking ahead about expenses and I am very excited that I won't be the bad guy when he cannot afford something.  I am also thrilled that he is excited about chores (there is even a "not asking" bonus for when he does his chores without me begging him).

We are going to try it for a year.  Stay tuned. . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Made It!!!!

This is Kelly blogging for Jamie,and I just got off the phone with her. After traveling for 44 hours, they finally made it. I'm overjoyed by the news that they were able to MEET Ruk for the first time pretty soon after they arrived as well, and everything went GREAT!!! Jamie says he is VERY small... even smaller than Dax, and that he is probably a size 4... WOW! Jamie says that all his teeth are coming in and is not the toothless guy we have seen photos of. She also said that he was very sweet and affectionate with her, and that he called her mommy already. This is a great sign as it shows he is open and ready for a family!!! Jamie was told that all day long he was chatting away that he was going to meet his mommy today! Sniff, sniff!!! Hays and Ruk hit it off real well too and didn't have any of that awkward and shy first time to meet you syndrome. They played for over an hour, and Hays had a BALL with his rambunctious and playful brother, Ruk. Lots of hugging and kissing were...

A Little Bit Of News From The Land Of A Thousand Hills. . .

I heard from Tim, my POA, today. Here is what his email said: We had a brief meeting, superior nun and was busy but favorable to adoption. She is encouraged by your heart especially with a second adoption. We have rescheduled to meet Saturday morning to finalize choice of the child. I shared your preferences and they don't have any issue with it. They told me that I need to proceed carefully especially with regards to other kids staying at the orphanage who may not get the chance of being adopted. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a picture of the boy that you may adopt! So. . .I'm assuming that Saturday means tomorrow. I am a little nervous! I am actually a lot nervous, but am trying to minimize that feeling by reminding myself that God knows the perfect child for our family! I'll be praying today!!!!!

Braner, Party of SEVEN!!!!

Well, I guess it isn't officially official until we pass court, but we have a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is six years old and his name is Jean de Dieu (John of God). That is all I know. No pictures or anything else, but this is plenty to digest for now. I am overjoyed and so happy and overwhelmed and a little nervous. I promise to pass along details once I have them and pictures, too! But for now, my children are Hays, Maggie, Jean de Dieu (John?), Dax and Gabby. God is good and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for Braner, party of seven!