Skip to main content

Care Package For Our Boy

I am sending a care package to Ruk (that is what I'm calling him for now. . .his "last" name is Rukara and saying "Ruk" is so much easier than Jean de Dieu). My dear friend, Becca, is heading to Rwanda next week and she is taking a care package to my boy!!! (She agreed to taking a small photo album, but I'm afraid the package is more than just that--sorry, Becca!)

I made him a fun scrapbook. I put pictures of him in it. I put family pictures in it and a "layout" of each one of his siblings. I gave him birthdays and birth places so that he could see different things about our crazy family: he can see that he shares a birth month with Maggie and that he shares a birth country with Gabby. I wanted him to see that we were born in all different places (Georgia, Missouri, Colorado and Rwanda). I put in several words in both English and Kinyarwanda such as family, ice cream, rice, many of the colors and the days of the week.

My favorite thing I sent is four ribbons. I cut a ribbon to each one of my kids' height so that he could see how tall his siblings are. I thought this may be helpful as he wonders about these crazy people coming to get him! :)

I sent him a Build A Bear. . .I have been wanting to do this since 2005. All of my kids have matching bears that they all got as infants. When we started the China process, I dreamed of sending our little China baby her Build A Bear and now I get to do it. . .I get to send my dear boy his bear. Corny, I know, but something I've been dreaming of. Thank you, Kelly, for making Ruk's bear and kissing the heart before it got sewn in!!!!

I'm also sending 2 disposable cameras (thank you, Melissa for getting those) so that he can take pictures of his life and of his friends and whatever he wants to take pictures of. I cannot wait to develop those pictures when he finally comes home and put them in his scrapbook!!!

So, Becca, it is more than a scrapbook, but I didn't think you'd mind too much! I also sent your POA letter, too, so that you could see him on our behalf!!!

Prayerfully Becca can have a good translator as she tells him about his gifts and about his new family. I cannot wait to hear all about him. Our POA is not one for mushy details, so I am praying that Becca can send me some. I want to know the following things (just for starters):

1. What did he do when he found out he was getting adopted? What are his thoughts? I would really love ALL of the details from that conversation!!!
2. What is he like?
3. What size clothes does he wear?
4. What is his favorite thing to do?
5. Does he speak any English?
6. Is he excited about being adopted? Scared? Unwilling?
7. What is his history? I just know that he has been in the orphanage since he was an infant.
8. Does he have siblings in the orphanage? (If so, they need to be coming home with us, too!!!!!)

So, I'm just emotionally pacing. I cannot wait to go get him! I pray that he is a cuddler. . .I'm just dying to cuddle my little guy. No worries, though. . .I've been reading enough adopting older children books to know that it may or may not be a cuddly walk in the park!

I'm dying to know when his court date is. I really want to go get him NOW!!! I really don't want to wait for Andy to go at the end of August. We'll see! I'll keep you posted with actual dates and details when I get them. Crazy!

Comments

Unknown said…
I can't wait to see it, the care package! I can't wait to meet him, but part of me feels like it simply is not fair. I want to meet him 7th. Just fall in line after his momma, daddy, and brothers and sisters. I promise to take photos and video (I got a flip for my birthday). So pray that I can get a good signal and upload the video for you.

I will make sure to take J's POA also, just in case.

I can't wait! This time next week we will be at our home for the last night for a few months...it's almost here.

Miss you and LOVE you and your sweet family.
Jen said…
we're so excited for your family- the care package is a great idea to help with the transition. We can't wait to hear more updates on your blog! Jen, Bill & Emilia
Kimmie said…
jamie jo--i love reading your blog. i found it months ago through jessica's site. i am so excited for you and your new little boy on the way! steven and i want to adopt eventually so its so fun hearing all of your sweet stories.
i hope you are having a great summer--I am sure you are though!! my little sister, Camille is out there right now. she always loves here time out there. well, just wanted to say hey and i will be praying for you and this new little one!
AV said…
the ribbons are a great idea! as i was reading this i was thinking to myself, "she was made for this..." gosh you so thoughtful!

Popular posts from this blog

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and