Skip to main content

Another Excerpt

I'm really enjoying blogging about this book I am reading because it is giving me something to blog about. I'm so anxious about Ruk and the nothingness that is going on with our adoption and I am thankful that I have this to write about.

These paragraphs come from chapter 5, "Settling In."

Sleep is something we all need and something that most of us can't get enough of during the initial adjustment. Yet, sleeping is one area in which virtually all children experience difficulties, in on way or another. It may be hard for us to believe that our children are not as exhausted as we are. In fact, they probably are, but that doesn't mean sleep will come easily to them. Falling asleep is one of the most difficult things for newly adopted kids to do for many reasons. Foremost is probably the fact that when they fall asleep they can no longer be vigilant about their safety and what's going on in the house.

'Vigilant' describes almost every newly adopted child. Even when they appear relaxed, these kids undoubtedly know where everyone int he household is, what they are doing, and how it affects them. Think back to a time when you were truly frightened. Perhaps you awoke one night to a strange sound in your house. Can you remember the feeling of uneasiness? Do you remember how each sound echoed through your brain, and every movement seemed exaggerated? Was your heart pounding and the hair on your arms standing on end? That is vigilance. A rush of adrenaline caused by fear activates this 'fight or flight' response, which prepares your body to protect itself by either fighting the danger or fleeing from it.

Your child is no doubt experiencing this sensation. You may notice that loud noises or sudden movement easily startle her. Or perhaps she gets anxious when there is a lot of noise and activity. One obvious sign of vigilance, though, will probably be a resistance to bedtime.

Your child knows that if he falls asleep, he no longer has any control over what happens to him. . . . Children know that being asleep makes them more vulnerable.

Comments

emily said…
Really enjoying these as we prepare to bring home an older child. :)

Popular posts from this blog

They Made It!!!!

This is Kelly blogging for Jamie,and I just got off the phone with her. After traveling for 44 hours, they finally made it. I'm overjoyed by the news that they were able to MEET Ruk for the first time pretty soon after they arrived as well, and everything went GREAT!!! Jamie says he is VERY small... even smaller than Dax, and that he is probably a size 4... WOW! Jamie says that all his teeth are coming in and is not the toothless guy we have seen photos of. She also said that he was very sweet and affectionate with her, and that he called her mommy already. This is a great sign as it shows he is open and ready for a family!!! Jamie was told that all day long he was chatting away that he was going to meet his mommy today! Sniff, sniff!!! Hays and Ruk hit it off real well too and didn't have any of that awkward and shy first time to meet you syndrome. They played for over an hour, and Hays had a BALL with his rambunctious and playful brother, Ruk. Lots of hugging and kissing were...

A Little Bit Of News From The Land Of A Thousand Hills. . .

I heard from Tim, my POA, today. Here is what his email said: We had a brief meeting, superior nun and was busy but favorable to adoption. She is encouraged by your heart especially with a second adoption. We have rescheduled to meet Saturday morning to finalize choice of the child. I shared your preferences and they don't have any issue with it. They told me that I need to proceed carefully especially with regards to other kids staying at the orphanage who may not get the chance of being adopted. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a picture of the boy that you may adopt! So. . .I'm assuming that Saturday means tomorrow. I am a little nervous! I am actually a lot nervous, but am trying to minimize that feeling by reminding myself that God knows the perfect child for our family! I'll be praying today!!!!!

Braner, Party of SEVEN!!!!

Well, I guess it isn't officially official until we pass court, but we have a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is six years old and his name is Jean de Dieu (John of God). That is all I know. No pictures or anything else, but this is plenty to digest for now. I am overjoyed and so happy and overwhelmed and a little nervous. I promise to pass along details once I have them and pictures, too! But for now, my children are Hays, Maggie, Jean de Dieu (John?), Dax and Gabby. God is good and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for Braner, party of seven!