Skip to main content

Happy Tears In The Stands

Tiki.  He has been home nearly ten years and what a wild ride it has been. . . . so many times over the past ten years I have left sporting events or school events or church events heavy hearted and sad and discouraged because I felt like people saw Tiki as a burden or a hassle.  Don't get me wrong--everyone LOVES Tiki, they really do.  He has never met a stranger and he is the happiest kid on the planet.  Everyone loves him, but those first few years he was a lot to handle and it was obvious at events.  And I would leave those events heavy hearted because I just wanted him to be loved and appreciated for his heart and his spirit. . . . 

But last night, I left his football game walking on clouds with a heart overflowing with pride and gratefulness and giddiness.  Tiki is living his best life right now.  

During the game I was taking to a mom and not paying attention (I wasn't paying much attention because Tiki doesn't typically go in to the game until late in the third quarter or the fourth quarter).  I was talking to this mom about Tiki and about how great he is doing in school.  I was bragging on the school's IEP program and I was bragging on Tiki and how much success he was finding academically this year.  I was so happy that school is a place where he "wins" now and not a discouraging place full of failure.  I was so caught up in talking about Tiki in school that I didn't realize (early in the second quarter) that he was jogging onto the field. . . until I heard a parent shout, "GO TIKI!" And then another parent shout, "GO TIKI!" And another and another, then I cheered for him and just about the entire crowd was cheering for Tiki because he was going in.  That's it.  He was just going into the game.

Y'all, the jerseys don't have names on the back.  No other players get yelled for when they go into the game. But the parents were cheering Tiki on and I just started crying happy tears. All of these parents knew who number 20 was because their boys really really like Tiki--it wasn't because he was infamous for being a handful, but because the team really likes him.  He is the biggest encourager.  He is the first one to congratulate someone when he runs off the field after a play, he is the first one to stand by another player and just be his buddy.  He isn't competing for a spot on the team because he is loving being a part of the team and people are feeling that.  The parents cheering for Tiki spoke volumes to me because they knew Tiki and they were thrilled for him to be going in.

(And hearing Tiki talk about that GO TIKI moment was the best in the car on the way home!  He felt it and he was over the moon!)

I was bursting and overflowing with pride and thankfulness and joy last night.  Tiki has great friends.  He is being invited to people's homes and to youth group and to birthday parties.  He is a friend to his teammates, he is a friend to the opposing team, he is a good student, he is a fantastic brother, he is a thoughtful son.  He is literally living his best life and I am so happy that his smile and friendliness is paying off.

Tiki is a great kid.  He has been exhausting for a decade for so many reasons, but his spirit has NEVER dampened and he has never let his circumstances make him jaded.  And last night this proud mama had happy tears streaming down her face as the stands cheered for her boy just for getting in to the game.

They love you Tiki because they have seen your heart through your smile and your encouragement!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and