One of my goals this year (along with being better about bedtime) is to cook at least two real meals per week (Hays suggested to me that I cook more). So, I am working on it. Last night I cooked a successful meal (which is VERY different from successfully cooking a meal. . .which I also did). A successful meal is one in which all of your children will eat AND even compliment (with words and yummy noises)!
CHICKEN BURRITOS WITH BLACK BEAN SALSA
(I obviously had to double the below recipe)
1 15 ounce can black beans rinses & drained
2 scallions chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice (I used fresh)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 pound cheese (called for pepper jack, I used some Mexican mix)
4 large flour tortillas
1. Combine beans, scallions, lime juice, cumin and 1/2 of the salt. Set aside.
2. Combine chili powder, pepper and remaining salt (I doubly doubled this).
3. Cut chicken up into strips or pieces and rub chili power mixture into pieces.
4. Broil chicken for about 4 minutes on each side.
5. Generously sprinkle cheese on all tortillas then top with black bean mixture.
6. Add chicken and roll up in foil.
7. Cook at 350 for 15 minutes.
This recipe has many great bonuses:
1. It is so yummy!
2. You can roll up the burritos and cook them later.
3. You don't have to use plates, you can just eat them off of the foil.
4. Leftovers are so easy. . .just put the foiled burritos into the fridge!
5. It is quick and easy!
Recommendations:
1. Add salsa and/or guacamole to the burritos after they are cooked.
2. Eat them outside instead of around the table.
3. Serve with chips & salsa!
CHICKEN BURRITOS WITH BLACK BEAN SALSA
(I obviously had to double the below recipe)
1 15 ounce can black beans rinses & drained
2 scallions chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice (I used fresh)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 pound cheese (called for pepper jack, I used some Mexican mix)
4 large flour tortillas
1. Combine beans, scallions, lime juice, cumin and 1/2 of the salt. Set aside.
2. Combine chili powder, pepper and remaining salt (I doubly doubled this).
3. Cut chicken up into strips or pieces and rub chili power mixture into pieces.
4. Broil chicken for about 4 minutes on each side.
5. Generously sprinkle cheese on all tortillas then top with black bean mixture.
6. Add chicken and roll up in foil.
7. Cook at 350 for 15 minutes.
This recipe has many great bonuses:
1. It is so yummy!
2. You can roll up the burritos and cook them later.
3. You don't have to use plates, you can just eat them off of the foil.
4. Leftovers are so easy. . .just put the foiled burritos into the fridge!
5. It is quick and easy!
Recommendations:
1. Add salsa and/or guacamole to the burritos after they are cooked.
2. Eat them outside instead of around the table.
3. Serve with chips & salsa!
Comments