Skip to main content

A New Adventure For Me

Well, apparently not enough has changed in my life because I am embarking on a new and exciting adventure! My passion is adoption. I love to help people with adoptions. Getting orphans into loving and Christians is what I love doing! It is my heart beat!

My brother, Brady, once told me to figure out what my passion is--what I love--and then pursue that. He gave me that advice when I started AnNi Designs because it combined my passion for adoption with my love for designing clothing.

Well, with Andy's suggestion and total blessing, I am going to take that one step further. I am starting an adoption agency. Right now I am just researching how to do that. Colorado has many very state-specific laws for their agencies and I think it may be a long and potentially confusing process, but so worth it in the end!

I am working with a friend from our church and our life group, too. He is a child and family therapist and he and his wife are starting the adoption process from Rwanda!!! (Tiki inspired them to take that next step!) He is going to be my social worker for my agency. He has already looked into the requirements and for him it is just a 2 day course in Denver in March. So, I already have my social worker in place! (Thank you, Darren! I am so excited to journey along side of you!)

I just want to help! I want to help families and I cannot help families in Colorado without being an agency. Also, I have found (thanks to Darren's wife, Valerie) that there are no local domestic adoption agencies in Durango. If a teen girl gets pregnant and doesn't want the baby, her only alternative to abortion is to drive to Denver to get the adoption process rolling. How many pregnant teen girls want to drive thirteen hours (round trip) to get that ball rolling?

If one in seven Christian families would adopt, then there would be NO ORPHANS left in the world. ZERO! I want to be a part of that. . .a bigger part than just the two children from Rwanda I have in my home!

So, please pray! Please pray that I can figure out (quickly) what Colorado will require of me to become an "adoption professional." Please pray that I can get a business plan all drawn up with a thorough mission statement and everything that a business plan entails. Please pray that all of the pieces fall into place and that I can be organized as I gather may information. This is SO EXCITING for me, for Andy, for our family, for Darren and for a few of my friends wanting to get their adoptions started in Colorado!

I am thrilled! I feel revitalized! I feel like I have some purpose beyond my wonderful family! I feel like I can really help connect families with their children like I couldn't before! I will keep everyone up to date with the details! If you have any direction, I'd love some! This is a dream come true and it has all fallen into place (this far) over the weekend (two years of praying and then this shower of pieces in place this weekend). . .God is SO FAITHFUL!!!

Comments

Courtney said…
www.crisispregnancyoutreach.org is the agency we went through they are completely volunteer-ran and it is awesome. cheryl is the head over it and has been doing it for 28 years. it's open adoption. but i think you might be able to get some helpful hints there and/or even talk to cheryl to see how she started. i love the Lord has laid this on your heart. adoption rocks! :) our littlest charleigh is the best blessing to us ever! we can't wait to do it again!
Heidi said…
What a wonderful, God-ordained plan for you, Jamie Jo!
Unknown said…
Jamie,

Thanks for the encouragement. The first comment is my mother in laws adoption agency. Looking forward to the process.

Darren
Jennifer said…
That is amazing!!! Congratulations!!!
Jennie Allen said…
Love it- you will be so great at this! You already have been for us.
Anonymous said…
Exciting news! I know Durango can use you. There is so little in the SW corner for adoptive families and for pregnancy care. I have plenty of families in Pagosa I'll connect you with!
lindsayeland said…
This is so wonderful, Jamie Jo! Maybe my family will be your first clients! Thanks for all your help and for the time your taking to inform and help me--someone you don't even know!

Best,

Lindsay (my middle name is Jo, too)
Tina Harriman said…
I know how you feel! When you find your passion and the Lord makes clear His plan for your life it is beyond exciting....especially when it involves adoption! I can relate to all the emotions you share in this post...there were many days when launching MM that I felt completely in over my head...but one step at a time and it will all come together. Blessings always!
AV said…
This is awesome. I want to help!!!
Stevie-Lynn said…
Check out http://www.4kidsofsfl.org/ as well! I know they are an amazing ministry down here in South Florida and almost all of the orphans from Haiti are going through them!
They do foster parenting as well as adoptions! And did I mention they are an amazing Christian ministry!!!
Liz said…
Jamie Jo,
My name is Liz. I suppose I just know about your family through Kamp, b/c I went to K-Extreme as a kamper (both years!) and worked at K-west. My friend Rachel Bennison recommended I contact you to talk about adoption, and then when looking on another friends blog I found your blog. Whew. Anyway, my hubby and I just applied to AWAA 2 nights ago. We are hoping to adopt one or two little girls from Ethiopia. I loved how you mentioned in your blog that you have an adoption group. I have been trying to find as many people as I can to be a support team as we go through this journey. If you have any advice or words that were particularly encouraging when you went through this process I would love to hear them. Thanks!
Liz Horn lizgrayce@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

They Made It!!!!

This is Kelly blogging for Jamie,and I just got off the phone with her. After traveling for 44 hours, they finally made it. I'm overjoyed by the news that they were able to MEET Ruk for the first time pretty soon after they arrived as well, and everything went GREAT!!! Jamie says he is VERY small... even smaller than Dax, and that he is probably a size 4... WOW! Jamie says that all his teeth are coming in and is not the toothless guy we have seen photos of. She also said that he was very sweet and affectionate with her, and that he called her mommy already. This is a great sign as it shows he is open and ready for a family!!! Jamie was told that all day long he was chatting away that he was going to meet his mommy today! Sniff, sniff!!! Hays and Ruk hit it off real well too and didn't have any of that awkward and shy first time to meet you syndrome. They played for over an hour, and Hays had a BALL with his rambunctious and playful brother, Ruk. Lots of hugging and kissing were...

A Little Bit Of News From The Land Of A Thousand Hills. . .

I heard from Tim, my POA, today. Here is what his email said: We had a brief meeting, superior nun and was busy but favorable to adoption. She is encouraged by your heart especially with a second adoption. We have rescheduled to meet Saturday morning to finalize choice of the child. I shared your preferences and they don't have any issue with it. They told me that I need to proceed carefully especially with regards to other kids staying at the orphanage who may not get the chance of being adopted. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a picture of the boy that you may adopt! So. . .I'm assuming that Saturday means tomorrow. I am a little nervous! I am actually a lot nervous, but am trying to minimize that feeling by reminding myself that God knows the perfect child for our family! I'll be praying today!!!!!

Recovering P31

What?  A recovering P31? Proverbs 31 describes the wife of noble character.  This wife gets up early and works hard all day long and isn't even tired when she finally retires from all of her work at night.  She is a servant to her husband and she makes him proud.  She is a fantastic mom and I'm sure, if there was Pinterest in the day, she would be the Pinterest-y-est of the moms.  She isn't afraid of hard work and she has the pantry stocked in the case of an emergency and she has her family ready for cold winters, famine and hard times.  She helps strangers and loved ones alike and she has her sights set beyond herself.  Her husband praises her and her children are grateful for her and call her blessed. Oh my gosh!  What a great lady!  I want to be like her!  So why am I a recovering P31 and why am I writing about it now when I'm not even a wife? (For starters, I think this kind of noble woman is a goal regardless of any woman's marital ...