Skip to main content

Genie Locs


I am going to toot my own horn here for just a second because I am just so proud of myself!  Last night I put Genie Locs (Yarn Braids) in Gabby's hair and they actually look pretty good. . .almost great even!  I have a long way to go and I have some ideas how to make them better, but I am really proud of myself and now the task doesn't seem quite as daunting.  And the best part. . .instead of hundreds of dollars at the salon, it was just six dollars worth of yarn.

Yesterday we went to Hobby Lobby to pick out yarn (it is VERY important that you get the acrylic kind and NOT the wool kind).  Gabby wanted turquoise and so we compromised with mostly dark brown and we added a strand of brown that blends into light blue and then turquoise every ten braids or so.  She loved the compromise (and I don't have a daughter with Easter egg hair)!

For all of you moms out there trying to figure out what to do with your little girls' hair without spending a fortune, there is a great tutorial on YouTube (click HERE).  It is a two-part tutorial and that is how I learned! 

Comments

Shonni said…
That is so cute...great job.

Popular posts from this blog

They Made It!!!!

This is Kelly blogging for Jamie,and I just got off the phone with her. After traveling for 44 hours, they finally made it. I'm overjoyed by the news that they were able to MEET Ruk for the first time pretty soon after they arrived as well, and everything went GREAT!!! Jamie says he is VERY small... even smaller than Dax, and that he is probably a size 4... WOW! Jamie says that all his teeth are coming in and is not the toothless guy we have seen photos of. She also said that he was very sweet and affectionate with her, and that he called her mommy already. This is a great sign as it shows he is open and ready for a family!!! Jamie was told that all day long he was chatting away that he was going to meet his mommy today! Sniff, sniff!!! Hays and Ruk hit it off real well too and didn't have any of that awkward and shy first time to meet you syndrome. They played for over an hour, and Hays had a BALL with his rambunctious and playful brother, Ruk. Lots of hugging and kissing were...

A Little Bit Of News From The Land Of A Thousand Hills. . .

I heard from Tim, my POA, today. Here is what his email said: We had a brief meeting, superior nun and was busy but favorable to adoption. She is encouraged by your heart especially with a second adoption. We have rescheduled to meet Saturday morning to finalize choice of the child. I shared your preferences and they don't have any issue with it. They told me that I need to proceed carefully especially with regards to other kids staying at the orphanage who may not get the chance of being adopted. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a picture of the boy that you may adopt! So. . .I'm assuming that Saturday means tomorrow. I am a little nervous! I am actually a lot nervous, but am trying to minimize that feeling by reminding myself that God knows the perfect child for our family! I'll be praying today!!!!!

Braner, Party of SEVEN!!!!

Well, I guess it isn't officially official until we pass court, but we have a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is six years old and his name is Jean de Dieu (John of God). That is all I know. No pictures or anything else, but this is plenty to digest for now. I am overjoyed and so happy and overwhelmed and a little nervous. I promise to pass along details once I have them and pictures, too! But for now, my children are Hays, Maggie, Jean de Dieu (John?), Dax and Gabby. God is good and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for Braner, party of seven!