Skip to main content

No News & Stuff

About the adoption: no news. . .or, really, news of my POA being a little confused on the process. I have been wondering why it has taken so long to get a court date, so I contacted America World and their contact in Rwanda contacted my POA and (as it turns out), he has been very confused about the process and that is why not a single thing has happened. On one hand, this is VERY frustrating because I really want my boy home. On the other hand, this is adoption and this is how it works. . .frustrations on top of frustrations. . .which will be SO WORTH IT in the end! I would love for a court miracle to work out because I am wanting to take Hays and Maggie with me to Rwanda to get him. One of my staff girls said she would stay with Dax and Gabby. . .what a blessing! Then I could NOT enroll Hays and Maggie in their new school until AFTER Rwanda. I was so excited about that! We'll see.

In the meantime. . .I have been reading this GREAT adoption book called "Our Own: Adopting and Parenting the Older Child." (It is the book that gave me the idea for the size of your sibling ribbons---speaking of which. . .Becca hasn't been able to give Ruk his gifts. . .another long story.) I really wish I would have read this book BEFORE we got Gabby! It says "older children," but I have been SO VERY surprised at how many things apply to Gabby and she was six months old when I got her. CRAZY! So, over the next few days, I'm going to be sharing parts of this book that I have found interesting (and parts that I want to be able to remember). Today's tid-bit will be short and sweet (emphasis mine):

Having reasonable expectations helps. . . . Choose your battles wisely.

Choosing your battles wisely is good advice for all parents, but especially those who adopt older children. There is no way you will be able to change everything you dislike about your son, nor would you want to. Don't we all want other to accept us as we are? You will likely learn as much about yourself in the first few months after adoption as you will about your child. You will find our what is really important to you and what you can let go. Remember that this is a time of immense change for your whole family. GIVE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY A BREAK.

Comments

Kelly said…
I LOVE to excerpt you wrote about from your new book... it is soooo true!!!! I will have to get that book!!!! LOVE you and can't wait to see you soon!!!

Popular posts from this blog

They Made It!!!!

This is Kelly blogging for Jamie,and I just got off the phone with her. After traveling for 44 hours, they finally made it. I'm overjoyed by the news that they were able to MEET Ruk for the first time pretty soon after they arrived as well, and everything went GREAT!!! Jamie says he is VERY small... even smaller than Dax, and that he is probably a size 4... WOW! Jamie says that all his teeth are coming in and is not the toothless guy we have seen photos of. She also said that he was very sweet and affectionate with her, and that he called her mommy already. This is a great sign as it shows he is open and ready for a family!!! Jamie was told that all day long he was chatting away that he was going to meet his mommy today! Sniff, sniff!!! Hays and Ruk hit it off real well too and didn't have any of that awkward and shy first time to meet you syndrome. They played for over an hour, and Hays had a BALL with his rambunctious and playful brother, Ruk. Lots of hugging and kissing were...

A Little Bit Of News From The Land Of A Thousand Hills. . .

I heard from Tim, my POA, today. Here is what his email said: We had a brief meeting, superior nun and was busy but favorable to adoption. She is encouraged by your heart especially with a second adoption. We have rescheduled to meet Saturday morning to finalize choice of the child. I shared your preferences and they don't have any issue with it. They told me that I need to proceed carefully especially with regards to other kids staying at the orphanage who may not get the chance of being adopted. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a picture of the boy that you may adopt! So. . .I'm assuming that Saturday means tomorrow. I am a little nervous! I am actually a lot nervous, but am trying to minimize that feeling by reminding myself that God knows the perfect child for our family! I'll be praying today!!!!!

Braner, Party of SEVEN!!!!

Well, I guess it isn't officially official until we pass court, but we have a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is six years old and his name is Jean de Dieu (John of God). That is all I know. No pictures or anything else, but this is plenty to digest for now. I am overjoyed and so happy and overwhelmed and a little nervous. I promise to pass along details once I have them and pictures, too! But for now, my children are Hays, Maggie, Jean de Dieu (John?), Dax and Gabby. God is good and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for Braner, party of seven!