Skip to main content

The FJ and Me

A friend of mine and her husband are down to one car for the week.  They have two young kids and going from two cars to one car can be stressful.  I, on the other hand, have an "extra" car in my driveway--it is our "kids' car" and currently I don't have a 16 year old in the house, so it is extra for a few more months.  So, today, while my friend was out to lunch after church, I dropped our "extra" car (the FJ) off at her house with the keys on the dash (assuming that she'll know by the A&M and Kivu stickers that the car is ours and is only a temporary loan).

I had to laugh as I was driving the FJ to her house because it was the perfect word picture of me right now.  (Backstory. . . . ) We moved to Franklin just over eight months ago and it has felt like I have been on a bad vacation.  It didn't feel like home and it felt like at any moment, we would actually go back home to Colorado and be a complete family (party of 7 and all) again.  It just hasn't felt real at all and I haven't felt settled.  But the last two weeks or so, I have stared to feel settled.  I think we all have started to feel settled.  The kids like their schools, they are involved in some sports and they are making friends.  I am involved in a couple of Bible Studies through the kids' school and I am making friends.  We don't feel like we're on a bad vacation anymore and we know that this is what our family looks like now.  And we feel home and settled.  (We still have healing to do and that's another story, but we feel settled at least.)

So, how did the FJ remind me of me?  Well, here I was driving this "extra" car to my friend's house to be nice  and I was dropping it off with a right front tire needing air, a spare tire that is COMPLETELY flat, an a gas tank on EMPTY, a broken windshield and 109,000 miles on it.  I dropped off a hunk of junk, but it is a hunk of junk that runs and that needs to be driven every once in a while. And it so felt like me.  Physically and emotionally, right now, I have a tire that needs air, a worthless spare, a broken windshield (and I mean cracked all the way across), zero gas in my tank and over a hundred thousand miles on me.  I don't have a ton of great possessions or material things to offer people.  I'm older than I feel like a single person should be and I've got some scars in my heart, but I'm a good car and I need to be driven every once in a while.  (Lame, but that was what I was feeling in that moment.)

But at least I have something to offer.  At least I'm able to be kind and selfless.  At least I am now willing to offer my broken self to new friendships here in Tennessee.  At least I am able to give of myself and my possessions.  At least I'm willing to love people.  It's funny how feeling like an old FJ was so freeing to me today.  I didn't see the low tire and the flat spare and the broken windshield and the empty gas tank and the 109,000 miles as bad things, I saw them as humorous hiccups in what is a kind gesture and it made me thankful that I haven't lost myself and who I am--I'm thankful that I am sill willing to share and help and love.

Ultimately my tires will be full, my spare will be road-worthy, I'll have enough emotional gas to get me where I need to go and I'll have a crack free view of what is ahead of me and, in the mean time, I am going to keep being me and keep putting myself out there without fear of the next pothole. I love our FJ and I love that I have an "extra" car to share today and I love that God showed me hope in a used car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and