Skip to main content

To Hays. Love Mom.

To Hays on the weekend before you start High School:
Dear Hays,

Oh my goodness.  I cannot believe that my first love at first sight is old enough to be starting High School.  You just finished Driver's Ed and you've been working out with the High School Golf team for a few weeks, so I realize that you're growing up, but your first day of High School is a big deal!

When you were born, my very first favorite memories were these:  when you were one day old (we were still in the hospital), I took a shower and I came out of my little bathroom to see Daddy holding you.  He was sitting in a chair by my bed and you were up on his shoulder and you were both sleeping.  That was my first best memory with you.  Then later that night the three of us were snuggled in my little hospital bed and we were lying there side by side watching a baseball game on TV.  That was the first time I remember thinking, "this is my family."  That was my second happiest memory with you.  And since those days in the hospital, we have made so many happy memories together.

You're heading off to High School on Monday and high school can be a big scary world sometimes.  I'm probably more scared than you are--you're so mature and cool and way more pulled together than I am usually.  I'm a wreck on the inside just thinking about sending my little guy to the big bad depths of Durango High.  (I realize that my "little guy" is nearly six feet tall and wears a size 11.5 shoe, so you really aren't a little guy, but you'll always be my little guy--in my mind.)

I want you to know that the people in high school don't really matter.  I hope you make great friends and I hope you have several teachers who you respect as mentors.  I hope you get excited to go to school each day because of the people you will meet.  However, I want you to know that if people don't like you or if there are bullies, they don't matter.  My 20 year reunion was this summer and I didn't go.  My six favorite people in the world are the ones in my home who I didn't even know 20 years ago.  As you make friends, know that only a couple will be forever friends.  Invest your time and energy and emotions wisely.  When you get your feelings hurt, let it roll off because high school will pass quickly and those people won't matter any more.  Those things that are said about you (the bad things) won't matter in four years.  All that will remain is the reputation you leave behind in their minds.  In 20 years, all they will remember is your overall reputation.  I pray that it is a reputation of integrity, I pray that you are known as a young man who is kind and fair and generous and compassionate to all.  I pray that it is a reputation that inspires others to be better.

On the day I brought you back from the hospital, you were sleeping in your crib and I was sitting on the couch with Daddy and I was sobbing.  Daddy asked me what was wrong and I finally sobbed out that I was sad because someday you would be going to college--you were only three days old.  And now, here you are, four years away from that.  I've tried to protect you for the past fifteen years.  I've tried to care for you and love you and train you up and make sure that your life was all it could be.  And now I can't protect you as you walk the halls of DHS.  I cannot protect your heart.  I cannot protect your soul or your mind.  It is all up to you.  I hope you know that I will be at home praying for you and cheering you on.  I am your biggest fan.  My heart will break when your heart breaks and my heart will leap for joy when you do.  I love you oh so much!

There is so much more I'd love to say to you at this time.  The bottom line is that I hope you know that I love and adore you.  You mean the world to me.  You were the first person who I fell in love with the very second I laid my eyes on you.  You are my boy and no one can take that away!  I won't be there physically to protect you or to guide you as you walk in the doors of DHS on Monday, but please know that I am always here.  You're a great kid!  You're ready to spread your wings and fly.  And, aside from the ache in my heart I have as I watch you grow up, I know that you're ready to fly.  I trust you.  I think you will make great choices.  I believe in you!

All my love and all my heart,
Mom

Comments

Unknown said…
Jamie Jo: This is so so beautiful! I cried and I dont even have kids of my own, so I dont fully know this feeling. thank you for sharing your heart .

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and