Skip to main content

First Day Of School

Today the kids started school.  Hays started High School (how is that even possible?), Maggie is a 7th grader, Tiki and Dax are in 3rd grade and my baby, Gabby, is in 1st grade.

They all head to their classes very brave and independent (okay, maybe not Dax) and here I am, without my kids, for the next several hours.  To their teachers, they are mostly just names on a roll sheet (and their reputations that precede them).  But to me, they are everything.  Here is what I would say to the teachers if I could:

Hello, Durango High School.  This is my heart and soul, Hays.  You'll call him Andrew on the first day and he may or may not answer.  Hopefully you'll figure out that he goes by Hays before the week is over.  He is brilliant.  He is driven and he knows what he wants.  He will be a great student if you keep him interested, but if you bore him or make him feel like his ideas don't matter, he will tune you out and be very average.  He is teaching himself Arabic.  Did you know that?  He has big dreams.  Get to know him.  He is thoughtful and has fantastic manners.  Sometimes he gets bullied and that brings out the worst in him--you may see a not so sweet side and if you do, please be willing to look beyond what is happening and question what else is going on.  If you invest in Hays, you will be very sad to see him leave your class at the end of the year.

Oh, Miller Middle School.  You've had Maggie for a year, so hopefully you know that she is Maggie and not Margaret.  She is my dear friend.  You will adore her.  She is sweet and silly and will be shy before she is outgoing.  She is a great friend and a very compassionate young girl.  She is smarter than her dinginess will let you see at first, but as you get to know her you will be shocked by her wisdom (both book wisdom and life wisdom).  Seventh grade is a tough year and my prayer is that the girl stuff won't get her down.  I hope that you and the kids in the class will love and respect her and that she can live above the cattiness that often follows middle school girls around.  Enjoy her.  She will be someone you can count on throughout the year.  You're lucky to have her in your class.

Mr. McManus.  You get the pleasure to have Tiki in your class.  I know that his reputation preceeds him and I know that you can look beyond that into his true heart.  I am thankful that you have him this year.  (You were Maggie's teacher the Fall we brought Tiki home, so you know about his history.)  It is really hard for him to sit still and focus and he will drive you crazy at least one time a day.  But please know that he can do it.  He wants to do it right and with the right motivation he can succeed.  If you don't give up on him, he won't give up on you and that is so important.  If Tiki trusts you, then the sky is the limit, but if he doesn't, it could be a long year.  He is happy and he doesn't realize that people make fun of him.  Please love him.  He doesn't pick up on social cues, but he knows when people are happy with him and he thrives on words of affirmation.  He loves to bring home notes that say how great he did in school each day.  You have a tough job ahead of you but you are also blessed with the kindest and happiest child this world has ever seen.  Mr. McManus, I believe that if someone just believes in Tiki, then he could change the world!

Mrs. Hilmer, you have my thumb sucking snuggle bunny sweat muffin, Dax.  Hug him every day.  Hug him multiple times every day.  He is a genius.  He really is.  School is so easy for him academically and he really loves to be challenged.  His work is about average when he isn't challenged because he doesn't have to try, but challenge him and you'll be blown away with how smart he really is.  He is mature beyond his years, but he is also a sweet and sensitive baby boy who gets his feelings hurt very easily.  He gets his feelings hurt often at school, one wrong look can ruin his entire week.  He needs you to love him and praise him.  He needs affirmation and he need protection.  Please be aware of how he is perceiving how others treat him.  He dreads school because he just prefers the safety of home, but he is so funny and outgoing and I hope that you get to see that side of him this year.  He is my love.  Hug him.

Mrs. Mull, you got Gabby.  You know she isn't Gabriella and you know her already.  You're so lucky to have her.  She is smart and she is so helpful.  Let her help you with whatever you need in your class.  She loves to help.  She is happy and she is social.  She loves her peers and she really enjoys being around them.  She is easy to have in class and she is eager to please.  She is the youngest of five, but she has the spirit of a first-born.  I know you will love her and make her feel so at home in your class.  I have no worries with Gabby this year because she has you.  I am so thankful for that.  Sugar and spice and everything nice is Gabby (mostly spice).  Have a super year with my girl!

So, DHS, Miller and Riverview, there are my kids.  I am trusting you to protect them physically, emotionally and so on.  That's a big deal.  I raise them so carefully and then you get them for the majority of the day.  Do you realize what a big deal that is?  Love them.  Challenge them.  Enjoy them. They're my world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and