Skip to main content

Hello Again!

Well, hello again, my blogging friends. I'm so sorry that I have been gone for so long, but I went "off the grid" as my husband would say. I headed to Branson on August 4th (with my dear friend, Kelly, who flew to Durango to drive all the way back with me) and haven't been on the internet since. I am home now and what a whirlwind it has been!!!

August 5

Jean de Dieu Rukarara born on some unknown date in some unknown corner of Rwanda is now officially Tiki Rukarara Braner born on February 3, 2004 (02/03/04--I made it an easy one to remember)!!!! The adoption is COMPLETE and now he has an official birthday and an official name and the birth certificate is on its way! We went to court and had a really good time! I love the "small town-ness" of Taney County! (No pictures because they are on a camera that I loaned to my cousin.)

We then headed out to see my parents at K2 where the three little kids spent the day on the slip 'n' slide and the water slides even though it was cloudy and rainy all day! My dad's deer (he has one every summer) enjoyed the slides with the kids, too. It was so crazy! After the slides, we hopped into a boat and headed to Pizza Huton the lake. It was so good to be with my parents again. I love them so!





If I would have had a blog just for this day with my parents, I was going to title it "Snorfboards and Dinglehoppers." What is a snorfboard? Great question! That is what Tiki called the diving boards because he just didn't know what they were called. It reminded me of that scene in "The Little Mermaid" when Ariel is eating dinner as a human for the first time and she doesn't know what to do with the fork, so she brushes her hair with it (at the table) because that is what Sebastian had told her that Dinglehoppers were for. It was a great "ah-ha" moment for me because that is exactly what Tiki's world is like sometimes. He just doesn't know any better. I loved that word picture. . .it helped make things make sense for me!

August 6-10

Tiki headed to K1! Thanks to Kris and Joel and Matt, Tiki had the amazing opportunity to be a day camper this summer and HE LOVED IT! He immediately left for "trip" when I dropped him off and my little day camper spent the night in a tent away from Mommy the very first night! TIKI WAS BORN FOR CAMP!!!

I stayed with my WONDERFUL Gran'ma for the entire time I was in Branson. It was so wonderful! She means the world to me and I am so thankful for our time together! We talked and laughed and enjoyed one another's "silent" company as we ready. We played Yatzee like we did when I was younger. It was food for my soul. I loved being with my Gran'ma and I loved watching her love my kids! We are so blessed to have her in our lives!

My "daughter," Caroline came down to visit for the weekend (for her birthday). She is from Germany and she lived with us back in 1999-2000 and she has been a family member ever since! She is in Kansas City for the summer doing a law internship and she drove down to see me. It was so great to see her again!

I got to go back to my church, James River, both Sundays that I was in town. The first Sunday was bitter sweet because my pastor was in COLORADO, but it was still so good to be at James River with my church family! The worship and fellowship was wonderful!

Meanwhile, Hays and Maggie were at K1 loving life. Tiki, too, was loving life! Every night that I picked him up he begged to stay. That made my heart so happy!

My cousin, Lori, came to town to pick up her kids from camp. I always love spending those two days with her every summer. I love her so much!


My wonderful "manny," Dalton, also came back for a visit. He just can't get enough of us!

August 11-12

I got to pick up my kids from camp. I was so happy to see them and so happy to have our family together again! IT WAS SO HOT, THOUGH!!! YUCK! But it was worth it! I loved hearing all of the wonderful things that Hays and Maggie's counselors had to say about them. Hays got the I'm Third cabin ribbon. They said that he was so mature and so unselfish and it was neat to hear someone else recognize those great qualities in him that I know are there! Maggie got the Leadership cabin ribbon and her counselors said that she was compassionate and sweet and fun to be around.






My sister was in town with her kids and it was fun to see them. She was sweet enough to go to my kids' awards ceremonies and sweat it out. That meant a lot to me.

August 13-17

We pretty much played every day at K-Kaua'i pool. It was heavenly!!! It was so nice to be hot. . . so hot that I just had to jump in the pool and play with the kids. . .and jump off the high dive and ride the water slide! I had a blast and got TAN!!! K-Kaua'i was also so perfect because I was surrounded by so many people who loved me and my kids were surrounded by their best friends. My parents played with us every day. The Blackwells and the Piersons and the Nimrods were there almost daily. The Sparks and the Houstons and the Dolloffs and the Watsons and the Duncans and so many other people were there. It was SO REFRESHING!!!







I got to go to James River again and Pastor John was there and HE BROUGHT IT!!! Best sermon ever!!! Ahhhhhh. . .again, refreshing!!!

August 18

We got up at four in the morning and headed to Durango. My dad drove with us and it was great!

August 19-today

We were so excited to see Andy again. They kids could not have missed him more. I loved seeing them see their dad again finally!

We played hard while Pops was in town! Rec center, Alpine slides and BMX riding were just a few of the highlights! We also headed to the Willis home last night for dinner and s'mores around the fire! It is good to be back HOME!















Lesley is also in town hanging out and helping me get back in the swing of things. She is the best!!


Well, that was a quick highlight from the past couple of weeks. School starts tomorrow. WOW! It is going to be emotional for me!!! Hays starts middle school (WOW), Maggie is in fourth grade, Tiki and Dax are in Kindergarten (dropping Dax off tomorrow is going to do me in) and Gabby will be in pre school two days a week. What am I going to do with myself? Work!

Today Lesley and I white gloved the pantry and the fridge! I am so thankful that project is finished! Whoo Hooo!!!



Tonight I had to cut Dax's MeMo apart (his blanket). I am putting little pieces of it in his pockets and his backpack. . .just in case he needs a little "drag" while he is at school. I almost cried cutting up my baby's treasure!

Comments

MarytheKay said…
Wow! What an action-packed August! Beautiful pictures!!! Okay, and your pantry and fridge look amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and