Skip to main content

My Heroes

Okay, this is Gabby, Tiki, Dax and Dax's friend, Jude playing inside on this snowy day. Hysterical that they are all being superheroes and playing so well together!





On another note, I thought of some stories from our trip to put on "paper."

Tiki went through a three day spell where he was talking about his "parents in Africa." It was so strange. Some of the stories were believable and many were TALL tales. So, I'm not sure what of the stories I can hold on to as fact (I know that I can NOT hold on to the story where Tiki met a moose who spoke English and whose name was Dax), but the stories flowed for three days. It was weird how jealous I got of the "other" mother. Weird. That is NOT the reaction I would have guessed that I would have had (I guess it proves that I'm a selfish human). If any of the stories were true, then it makes me think that he may be older than they say he is. Who knows. I hope that as his English improves, I can pursue these stories further and see what he does remember. I sort of think that all of the traveling mixed with the airlines and customs officials using his "other" name made him a bit nervous and insecure and so he may have felt like he needed to talk about his "other" life and make up stories. Its a mystery.

Dax. . .this story is probably not as funny in a blog as it was in person, but it is worth telling, if for no other reason, then I can laugh about it in years to come. So, our over the water hut we stayed in at El Nido had a loft with spiral stairs. Andy and Gabby and I slept downstairs and the other four kids slept upstairs. Well, one night I hear water leaking--a lot of water leaking--I was so tired and I couldn't really figure out what was happening. I didn't know if it was storming outside and the roof was leaking or if the toilet was overflowing. . .I was in this weird jet-lag induced haze and my mind was not putting everything together at all. Well, I started up the stairs and realized that Dax is sleep-peeing. He is standing at the top of the stairs (thinking it is the toilet) and he is doing his business. . .all over the stairs, the floor, the desk under the stairs--everywhere! It was so funny. . .he had NO idea that he had done it either.

Hays & Maggie worked so hard while we were in the Philippines. Hays helped build houses. He built a porch and painted homes. Everyone says that he was such a hard worker. I am so proud of him! Maggie got to work in a medical (dental) clinic and she got to play with the town children. They both really enjoyed the mission work! I am so proud of them!

And Gabby was a resort hit. I think every single honeymooning couple at the resort has at least ten pictures of and with Gabby. Strange. I cannot imagine taking pictures of someone else's child, but they will go home with tons of pictures of my daughter. Hummmm....

**********

Today the schools were in lock down because apparently some elementary (yes, I said elementary) student had "weapons" on one of the buses. It was a student headed to a different elementary school (there are 5 elementaries in the Durango school district), but they put the entire district on lock down. This is the second lock down they have had this year. The first was for a huge bomb threat that threatened all big public places in Durango and at the college. The kids have also been evacuated for potential structural damage due to snow load and they were evacuated for a gas leak. Crazy things happening! But I love it here!!! :)

Andy and I have been having great phone dates (via Skype) every night. It has been really fun! I wait up until ten (seven in the morning for him) and we chat. It is nice to have that to look forward to while he is in the Middle East. He is really enjoying his time there! He went "sliding" yesterday. . .you drive to the top of these huge sand dunes and point your car down the dune and then turn it off and slide down. He had a blast!

Well, that is more than enough for now. . .this post just started as pictures of my superheroes. Oh well.

Comments

Kristyn said…
i loved these stories. you could have told ten more! can't believe you woke up to dax peeing down the spiral stairs! did you wake andy to catch that? i put tegegne in underwear. he stood peeing for the first time yesterday with my help aiming for his small potty. boys are fun!

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and