Skip to main content

Today Has Not Been The Day It Started Out To Be

Frustrating. That is my word for today. It started out fine. It was another beautiful day in Colorado. We woke up to another three or four inches of snow and the trees were dressed beautifully with an inch or two of snow on every tiny little branch. I do love living here. Each day takes my breath away! I got the kids to school (Hays and Maggie only. . .Tiki was asked not to come to school today. . .that is a whole other story. . .a fine one--no worries, but another story) and I headed home with Tiki, Dax and Gabby.

Well, for those of you who haven't seen my driveway (most of you), it is CRAZY! It should have its own road sign about steep grade and trucks use low gear and icy conditions may exist and so on and so forth. We had run out of salt and so, I knew the driveway was slippery. . .therefor I parked at the top (but not on the road, lest I get in trouble by the Edgemont Nazi).

I was parked behind Andy (not actually Andy's car, because he owns a car that shouldn't be owned in Colorado--a little "bachelor-mobile" and he is driving a camp truck today). So, when Andy was ready to leave for work, I ran up to move my car. I couldn't. Try as I might, it just slid all over the place. So, I hopped out and asked Andy to move it because I would have much rather him slide into the truck than me. . .which he did. . .a few times.

In the process of sliding and spinning out and getting nowhere--except further DOWN the driveway, something BROKE. Literally. . .broken metal on our driveway. . . ! What was it? Who knows?!?! It came from the differential/transmission/axle area of my Suburban. Nice. Metal of some important sort scattered all over my icy driveway.

So, we waited until noon for the tow truck to arrive. . .he was late because a semi was jackknifed in our neighborhood (hopefully he got some sort of violation from the above mentioned Edgemont Nazi)! While we waited I had a complete emotional breakdown. Complete to the point of laying on my tummy on my bathroom floor (heated floor) and crying. Real mature. I know. I was just so overwhelmed. . . .

My car has been in the shop for a total of three months out of the six months we have lived here. I have rented cars. I have borrowed cars. And my favorite (and your favorite, too). . .I have test driven every car in the greater Durango area. . .and unfortunately, I think the dealers are on to my tricks. We have one broken car (mine) and one car that is completely worthless from November to April. We have a house we own in Branson (and are making payments on) and we are living in a wonderful rental in Durango. Money is tight and I broke down!

Thank you, Gretchen, I am borrowing your car. . .I'm about to go pick you up from work. So, we are set for a few more minutes. Thank you, Jan, for letting me sob to you on the phone and for being willing to take me to pick up a rental if I needed to.

Bottom line is that we need at least one new (new to us, used is fine) car so that we can get this Party of 7 moving.

My pity party/emotional break down is over. . .thankfully. I am acting more my age and more like the I-got-it-all-pulled-together mother that I am supposed to be. I wish I had pictures of the car pieces and of the Suburban pressed up against the truck, but this morning wasn't the picture taking time! (Jan, where were you?!?!)

I'm feeling better. The kids are home. Their friends Kenna, Kayla and Carver are over. I get to spend 20 minutes with Gretchen when I pick her up from work (and I am needing some peer time). And we have Life Group tonight. Things are looking up and today is getting back on the tracks of the day it started out to be.

I need to stumble across a Nissan Armada that isn't yellow or red or white (although I could handle white) and that has low mileage and is four wheel drive. That same Armada needs to be almost free and the dealer needs to be so excited about taking our bachelor-mobile off of our hands. Then I need to get my Suburban fixed and either deal with it or find some soul who wants to buy it and sell it for parts. . .it has some really amazing cup holders just caked with old Dr. Pepper and smashed french fries that the right person would just love! There is my wish list for today. I'm a simple girl! :)

Blessings to you all. It is good to know that I have friends. Friends don't slide or break or smash or get too many miles on them. I love friends (and family)!!!

Comments

Jen Schlenker said…
Praying for your Friend... Yes welcome to sliding all over the place! I slid into my roomates car as I was pulling in last night ;(. trusting in God's provision. Thank God for wonderful friends and a community who helps to take care of each other!
jan schill said…
bless your little heart...it will get easier! just light a match to the thing...there's enough butter inside it to make it go up in smoke in 3.2 seconds! i'm here if you need me...camera & all!
alisa said…
Oh, I'm so sorry for such a frustrating day. You had all that to worry about...and still worked with us on T's. PLEASE, don't ever hesitate to tell me 'not a good day...'!!! Praying next week will fly by while Andy travels!!
Kristyn said…
i read this post at the perfect time, because i was having a what-is-going-on-completely-overwhelmed kind of day. thanks for the honest post that others can be comforted by. AND i hope you get a new/used car VERY soon!

miss you guys.

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and