Skip to main content

Packing. . .

Well, I'm packing. I feel like I've been packing for two weeks. I've never really moved before and I had no idea what a big job packing up a family of six (seven really because I have three boxes for Lionel already) and a huge house could be. I am exhausted! Our big garage sale is this Saturday (Friday for friends and family) and we are hoping to sell almost everything!

I'm tired. I feel like I need to preface these next paragraphs with that fact. I'm tired and I'm overwhelmed. . .now here come the emotions. (Oh, and it is rainy and yucky outside.) I really want to move! I'm so excited about it! Starting over and living in Colorado and getting a new house (hopefully)!!! There are so many things I am excited about. . . . .

But. . .I'm so sad (back to the disclaimer above). I just want to curl up in bed and cry. (Maybe I should get some medication.) I have family here. I love my parents and my Gran'ma and Brady and Jen (when they're in town). I am so blessed by my family here in Branson. And my in-laws are just three and a half hours away. We are surrounded by family and they are such great family that being surrounded by them is a fantastic thing! I have super friends! Wow. I can't even type that without crying. I love my friends! I lived in Branson for thirty years before God gave me true girl friends! Beth, Melissa, Kelly, Becca, Rachel (just to name a few). They are all so dear to me and they know my heart. . .the yucky parts and the pretty parts and they still love me. I know I'll make new friends in Colorado, I already have one good one, but I'm nervous. I feel like I'll be moving into other people's lives and I don't want to disrupt that. I just don't know how to do it. I don't know how to be the new kid.

And then there is my Adoption Fellowship Group. . . . A group of people who were mostly strangers 18 months ago and I really like them! I look SO forward to our meetings every month (this Thursday is our last one)! As a matter of fact, it was "A Blissful Heart" that got me all sappy today in the first place. I just went blog hopping to check on how everyone was doing and I lost it. (Thanks, Kim!)

And, I want to move into a house. Here comes the super shallow part! I do. I want a home (and I want a pretty home. . .not big, just pretty). I would love to be able to pack up Maple Forest Lane and put it in a big truck and then meet the big truck at my new home (in Edgemont Highlands) and then unpack it. Unfortunately, we will be keeping everything in our garage and moving into our kamp cabin. We are so blessed to have a place to go and not have to own two houses! I know that! I just feel like as I'm packing up my family and my life, I would really like to NEST in Colorado and not just float! I want to nest and know where my life will actually be. What school district? What activities? Which ski slope should we get a season pass at? :) Should I plan on working out at the Rec Center every day so that I can be a fit Colorado chick or just continue with the Wii Fit and be a semi-fit transplanted midwestern girl? That's a dumb one, but it is one.

Anyway, I'm packing. Feel free to come help!

Quick question: when you wrap things in bubble wrap, do the bubbles go in or out? It's the simple things I wonder about, too!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Even though I've never lived anywhere longer than 4 years, I know the emotions your feeling right now. It's hard work to relocate your life and making friends takes time. It's easy to make acquaintances that say hello on Sunday morning and that you see at the park... but true friends seem to take time. I will be praying you find some and that God speeds the process up a bit. As for your last questions... you will like the Rec center because they have an awesome pool. Everyone in Pagosa wishes it was closer. But you can also just hibernate with your Wii all winter because the summer hiking will help you squeeze back into your cute Colorado capris. If you can wear something out of the REI catalog then you'll fit in just fine here! While you have a mountain right there in Durango, I must admit that Wolf Creek is by far the best skiing in the area because it's small and family run. I know of a good pediatrician if that helps!

Bubbles in... you can also use clothes for insulating breakables. And a tip we've learned by watching our military movers is to put framed pictures on the sides of tall boxes with things like pillows and comforters inside. ;-)

Andrea

PS: Are you sure you want to come because we all wore snow boots to church this morning... on EASTER!
Kari said…
Jamie,
We love you!! You were such a huge part of our adoption!! You held my hand during the endless paperwork and made me feel like I could accomplish anything!! I will forever thank you for your heart & spirit to help.
I've known you for soooo many years...its not possible to wrap our brains around you NOT being here in your adorable cottage in the woods.
Thank you for sharing your heart..what you're going thru. Praying for you!!!
ps: Rog will be lost on Thursdays lunch w/ Andy :(
No worries, I am pretty convinced that after 5 years in CO that the "fit Colorado chick" is a myth. During the school year (my work season) I am lucky if I work out in the WII! And as far as skiing, I only know a handful of people who live here who actually ski on a regular basis! We pesonally just don't live close enough to the mountains and cannot afford it.
kim said…
Jamie Jo

A blissful heart here :( We sooo love the fellowship group too and are going to miss you all so much. I feel like our relationship just began to develop but..... God is good and He will not take you on a journey you can't handle. That's not to say it's not hard. I can't imagine the stress and pressures you are feeling along with this change. I am praying for you and will continue to do so daily. Praying that God works out even the smallest details in this move and transition!! We love you and I am looking forward to Thursday night when I can hug your neck and let you know how much you are loved and supported in person!
Kim
Unknown said…
I'm thankful that you allowed not just me, but my family (literally at times) "move into" the lives of the Braners.

Moving is not easy, really, next to marriage and being a parent its' the most difficult thing that I have had to do. I'd love to say that it was easy, but I've not ever fully gotten over my first move.

I didn't put down roots when we moved from Indianapolis to Lincoln, so that move wasn't as hard emotionally, but I realized that I missed out. I'm sure that there are people there that I would have really loved, but I remained closed because the move from Indy was so painful. (I know, i'm not helping am I.) BUT this is what I wanted to say ~ I felt the water w/ my toe when I moved here and then put my foot in, I'm not sure I'm much deeper than my waist w/ the community as a whole, but with a few I'm swimming.

Jamie Jo, thanks for allowing me to swim. The water is warm and welcoming and safe. Thank you for being that person who gave me the courage to realize it's okay to put down roots. It may be painful to move again (who knows where we will go or when we will go - i gave up trying to figure that out long ago) but I hope that where ever the Lord take me there is a person that allows me to swim and will even swim with me.

Now, I'm ready to come over in a few hours, let myself in the front door, help myself to the coffee maker and have make up put all over my face, all because I LOVE YOU! ;) See you soon. Oh wait...I will be bringing a person w/ me. Does that mean I get a free gift?
Kelly said…
Oh, JJ.... BIG SOBS!!! I am going to complain... this isn't fair!!! I have moved every 4 years since I was born. Sometimes it was easy, sometimes it was not. Because I love you so, I am tuely hoping that it is easy for you. No matter what your experience will be, I am here and just a phone call or plane ticket away :)
Missy White said…
like i told you on the phone, THANKS for sharing your heart on this post. i can totally identify with you on all the ups and downs of your adventure. i really wish i was there to help you. love you sis.
this is a belated comment, but i was so refreshed and glad to read a post from an honest heart. i guess i was hoping and unknowingly expecting a post like this because your life is changing so much right now. i've been effected so much and thinking of you often and i'm not even in the middle of it. thanks for posting. i was blessed.

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of a Stepmom

The grief of a stepmom.  This post has had so many titles:  The Invisible Grief of a Stepmom, The Silent Grief of a Stepmom, The Lonely Grief of a Stepmom. . . the grief of a stepmom is like no other grief because it feels so homeless. My stepson died a few weeks ago.   Marc and I have only been married eight months and Mackay, my stepson, lived in NYC and we rarely got to see him (he didn't get to come to the wedding or Cabo and didn't stay with us when he came to town), so I didn't have much of a relationship with him.  So there is a weird layer of loosing someone I hardly knew and I feel like that is the layer that makes the most sense to everyone.   While the family was mourning, I was the one organizing all of the meals coming in from our wonderful friends and neighbors, I was cleaning up one meal and setting up for the next.  I was keeping the house in order and making sure Marc was able to surround himself with the friends and family he needed to make it through the

Should've Said No. . . ?

Andy proposed during a curtain call of Me and My Girl , a musical in which he played an old man who went most of his life without telling the woman he loved that he loved her... Twenty-three years ago today Andy asked me to marry him. . . .  he was my best friend and I thought he was the love of my life.  Should I have said no? I don't know how many times I have now been asked a version of that question in the past couple of years and I cannot count the number of times I have asked myself that question over the past decade, but it is a dumb question with no great answer. If I would have said no 23 years ago, I would have saved myself from so many tears and so much pain, but I would have missed so much laughter and so many exciting firsts and I would be such a different person. . . . Because of this day, 23 years ago, I am who I am and I have so much to be thankful for. Because of this day, 23 years ago, I have five of the best kids on the planet.  They are t

Mother's Day Thoughts

I've been feeling so many Mother's Day feels this weekend.  For starters, my big kids came home to surprise me and that was the most wonderful thing!  I remember Mother's Day 2017 when I cried because Hays was a Senior in high school and heading to Texas A&M and I thought it would be my last Mother's Day with my five all together. . . . and yesterday proved those tears unnecessary!  And then, as if that wasn't more than I could ever wish for, Marc spoiled me like I have never been spoiled before.  I am consistently blown away and humbled by how much he appreciates me and shows me his appreciation with words, gifts, acts of service and more.  I am so grateful for this husband of mine and the way he loves me and shows our kids what selfless love is supposed to look like! But even before yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about all of the different dimensions of motherhood I now experience and it is shaping me into a new and stronger and more compassionate and